It's a Samoan pub.

October 9, 2006: The beginning of my adventure in the Peace Corps. I've been invited to serve as an Information and Communication Techonology volunteer to teach computer skills in Samoa. Disclaimer: The views expressed in this blog are mine and do not in any way reflect the views of the Peace Corps, the US government, or the country of Samoa.

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Living in Siumu

I’ve finally moved into my house and school has begun. Well, it’s officially begun but I haven’t been really teaching yet. I think that is going to happen next week. This first week the students signed up for classes, had singing practice, and started their basic classes like English, History, and Maths (and yes, I meant to add the s at the end).
The house is great and it's nice to finally be able to unpack my things after three months of moving between hotels and the training village. My house is on a family's compound and for now I've been using their bathroom facilities but they've said that the school will build me my own as well as a shower off my house. Not exactly sure when this is supposed to happen but I'm looking forward to it. Until then I've been sharing and taking bucket showers and I'm actually really getting used to it. Luckily I have my own refridgerator and stove and have been trying to cook meals for myself. My host family, having very low confidence in my cooking abilities, still sends meals over to my house every day.

How to Take a Bucket Shower:
Bucket showers definitely have their benefits. For one as you always get the water to use beforehand it’s much harder for you to waste water (something I think my dad would greatly appreciate). First you need to get a bucket of water from the nearest working tap. This could be available on your family’s compound, there could also be a tap on your neighbor's property and you could always get water from the village pool if there is one. (A pool in the village is a closed area of clean fresh water that can be used for bathing in). Once you've got your bucket you find a nice preferibly enclosed place. If one is not available you could always shower with a lavalava wrapped around you. Using a small bowl or cup you can then dump water over yourself, taking time to lather up and shampoo your hair and then using the remaining water to rinse.

How to Get from Here to There:
There are basically five basic means of transportation (not including the ferry it takes to travel between Upolu and Savai'i).
1. Walk
Highly under rated but not always the best solution for long distances

2. Bicycle
Each volunteer was issued a bicycle upon swearing-in which make us all stand out gloriously as we are the only ones in the entire country who wear helmets (Peace Corps requirement). Very good for traveling between villages to see other volunteers or for getting around Apia

3. Hitchhike
Keep in mind that hitchhiking in Samoa is not the same as hitchhiking in the states. We’re still careful but it is definitely a more common means of travel. Nice for long distances when paying for a taxi or riding a bus is not desirable

4. Bus
Cheap but can get very packed, in which case people generally sit on each others’ laps for the duration of the ride

5. Taxi
Can get pricy when going long distances but sometimes can be worth it (A ride across Apia is only a few Tala and a ride across the island is at least fifty but consider the fact that fifty Tala is about 20USD and if you go in a group it’s not that bad.)

How to Get Internet Access:
A few of the schools across the country have internet access and even some volunteers have internet at their sites but sadly I do not. So, how does a volunteer in my situation get access to the internet? There are two ways, both of which are in Apia. There’s always the internet cafes which really aren’t that expensive and can be found all around the city. There’s even one that’s open on Sundays. Secondly, there’s the Peace Corps office, which along with providing numerous resources for teaching and study, also has two volunteer computers. These computers have internet twice a day everyday (from 9am-11am and then again from 4pm-6pm) and like the good children that we are, all of the volunteers who are in the office at the time share.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lawrence said...

"My host family, having very low confidence in my cooking abilities, still sends meals over to my house every day."

I guess people are the same all over the world :)

4:37 AM GMT-11  
Blogger Layton's Family said...

hey there...
i was so happy when i read your blog..man i can not believe it that you are teaching in my village..i use to go to that school but just for one year...man it was tuff....my house is like a 2mins walking....and man i can see that its hard to get internet over there..computer is my passion i am on it all the time everyday..i love it..maybe someday when i come visit i will come over and help out...and thanks for teaching those kids and putting this up here..i lve reading it.
take care adn hope to hear some more....you can email me at jeralinlu@gmail.com.

11:14 AM GMT-11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i enjoyed reading your blog, My father is one of the HC their, I haven't been there since 2003. I can sure do picture that school like it was yesterday. My principle those days hated me, but it was ok, I was a new student. I've gone to that school, for about two months, it was okay. I am just happy that the school board went advance in getting teacher from the Peace Corp Program. Thanks for making a difference in Siumu...
by the way, my email addi. is
ctapusalaia@yahoo.com

5:52 PM GMT-11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i enjoyed reading your blog, My father is one of the HC there, I haven't been there since 2003. I can sure do picture that school like it was yesterday. My principle those days hated me, but it was ok, I was a new student. I've gone to that school, for about two months, it was okay. I am just happy that the school board went advance in getting teacher from the Peace Corp Program. Thanks for making a difference in Siumu...
by the way, my email addi. is
ctapusalaia@yahoo.com

5:56 PM GMT-11  
Blogger Asuao Simaile Pala Faalogo said...

Talofa Meaghan, Faafetai lava for your time and services provided for our Nu'u pele o Siumu. The Committee of High Chiefs for the Aoga talk very highly of you. We have just completed a Posiva fundraising to build a new Primary school for our fanau laiti. the work has just started and more assistance and contribution will be appreciated from all our tama fanau from all corners of the world. The old school house is no longer safe for our kids to use, I hope you can go back and see the changes that will be happening in the next 5 yrs I'm sure, as reading from comments on your blog suggests we all share our alofa and pride for our beautiful Siumu. See you in Siumu Meaghan, Soifua ma ia manuia, Asuao Simaile Pala Faalogo. email:simaile3@hotmail.com

4:39 PM GMT-11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted u all to kw that,I am the KING of SIUMU.... lol SAMOA at that..... I Love my peoples. Its just so so so sad some forget where they come.selloutttttsssss.....lmao. West West Samoa Siumu. The Begining and END. Stay TRUE my UZZOOSSSS.....

2:12 PM GMT-11  

Post a Comment

<< Home