It's a Samoan pub.

October 9, 2006: The beginning of my adventure in the Peace Corps. I've been invited to serve as an Information and Communication Techonology volunteer to teach computer skills in Samoa. Disclaimer: The views expressed in this blog are mine and do not in any way reflect the views of the Peace Corps, the US government, or the country of Samoa.

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Book List (so far)

Peace Corps volunteers work very hard and there are constant demands on our time and ability. However, the truth of the matter is that we spend much of our time in our houses alone and in need of entertainment. Luckily many volunteers are very fond of reading and we all share books with each other. So here is the list of all the books I’ve read since I’ve been here (the only ones that I had read before Peace Corps were the first six Harry Potter books which I reread in anticipation of the 7th and Sideways Stories which I love too much to pass up). Some good, some bad, some amazing and some even terrible but I read them all:

1. Death Do Us Part
2. The Tao of Pooh
3. The Giver
4. The Handmaiden’s Tail
5. The Professor and the Madman
6. Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress
7. Into the Wild
8. Jane Eyre
9. The Lovely Bones
10. When I Was Gone
11. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
12. Sideways Stories from Wayside School
13. The Hatchet
14. About a Boy
15. Deadly!
16. Are you there God? It’s Me Margaret.
17. The Bell Jar
18. The Sex Lives of Cannibals
19. Twisters: Stories of the Sinister and Macabre
20. A Wrinkle in Time
21. The Wizard of Oz
22. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
23. Ella Minnow Pea
24. A Book of Bees
25. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
26. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
27. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
28. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
29. Bartlet and the Ice Voyage
30. The Kite Runner
31. The Secret of Platform 13
32. Which Witch
33. High Fidelity
34. Divine Secrets of the Yaya Sisterhood
35. My Uncle Oswald
36. Freakonomics
37. The Hound of the Baskervilles
38. Wicked
39. Nine Hills to Nambokaha
40. A Walk in the Woods
41. The Rescue
42. A Spot of Bother
43. The Gunslinger
44. Neither Here Nor There
45. Blink
46. A Child Called “It”
47. Getting Stoned with Savages
48. Five Quarters of the Orange
49. How We Die
50. In Harm’s Way
51. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
52. The Alchemist
53. Ender’s Game
54. The Bridge to Teribithia
55. Perfume
56. Under the Banner of Heaven
57. The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency
58. Tears of the Giraffe
59. The Six Pack II
60. The Memory Keeper’s Daughter
61. The Celestine Prophecy
62. State of Fear
63. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
64. Braniac
65. Snow Falling on Cedars
66. Artemis Fowl
67. Sphere
68. On the Beach
69. The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test
70. Middlesex
71. Fast Food Nation
72. Ishmael
73. Atonement
74. Band of Brothers
75. As I Lay Dying
76. Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency
77. Life of Pi
78. In a Sunburned Country
79. French Women Don’t Get Fat
80. The Autobiography of Eleanor Roosevelt
81. Emergency Sex
82. Northern Lights

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which was your favorite? Which was the hardest to drag yourself through?

2:36 PM GMT-11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have numerous favorites: The Sex Lives of Cannibals, The Life of Pi, A Walk in the Woods, Freakonomics, The Kite Runner, .... I think out of all of the books I've read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is the only one that I read within a single 24 hour period.

The hardest to drag myself through was Wicked. The author has great ideas but he chooses the longest most verbous way to express them and by the end I've just stopped caring. I felt the same way about Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister and have conclusively decided that I will not read any more of his books.

2:42 PM GMT-11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Meghan! It's Josie! Your parents sent my parents the link to your blog, and they passed it on to me and I've just been going through and reading and WOW. I am so inspired by the work you're doing, and I'm SO proud of you. When you get back, you DEFINITELY have to come and visit me.

I'm so proud of you and I love you, cuz!

2:09 AM GMT-11  

Post a Comment

<< Home